Friday, August 19, 2005

 
Mashffect. I am home from karaoke, and playing the Carpenters. I am still drunk. We had Charlton's to ourselves tonight. It was kind of crazy - I could indulge all my craziest karaoke requests. Here are some of the songs I can remember doing (there may have been more):

"Electric Blue" by Icehouse (my favourite song of 1987)
"Heartbreaker" by Dionne Warwick (lots of personal relevance - "when I was being what you want me to be")
"Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield (from having seen Suddenly 30 on Monday - not nearly as satisfying as I thought it would be)
"Baby Baby" by Amy Grant (I shouted, "I'm not a Christian!" before I did this one)
"Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani (a curiously unsatisfying song - so fucking repetitive)
"I'm With You" by Avril Lavigne (rock chick sublime)
"Pony" by Ginuwine ("Someone who knows how to ride, without even falling off!")
"Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" (a duet with Tash, in which I shouted "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Elton John!")

But the one that stuck in my head was "Rainy Days and Mondays". God I love the Carpenters. There is something magical about Karen's voice. During the 1980s I learned that it was very daggy to like the Carpenters, as it was to like anything from the 70s, like Abba.

The Carpenters song I always identified most with was "Goodbye to Love":
I’ll say goodbye to love
No one ever cared if I should live or die
Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by
And all I know of love is how to live without it
I just can’t seem to find it
So I’ve made my mind up
I must live my life alone
And though it’s not the easy way
I guess I’ve always known
I’d say goodbye to love
There are no tomorrows for this heart of mine
Surely time will lose these bitter memories
And I’ll find that there is someone to believe in
And to live for something I could live for
All the years of useless search
Have finally reached an end
Loneliness and empty days will be my only friend
From this day love is forgotten
I’ll go on as best I can
What lies in the future is a mystery to us all
No one can predict the wheel of fortune as it falls
There may come a time when I will see that I’ve been wrong
But for now this is my song
And it’s goodbye to love
I’ll say goodbye to love
Right now, my feelings are all mashed together. I don't quite know how to describe them. I call this "mashffect". To paraphrase Madonna: "Gilles Deleuze: analyse this... Analyse this." As I just said to the manslave via nerdy MSN:
Mel says:
little manslave, I hardly know how to write down the feelings I have now
Adam 2.0 says:
well
Adam 2.0 says:
please tell me what they are
Mel says:
nostalgia
Mel says:
lust
Mel says:
sadness
Adam 2.0 says:
mm
Adam 2.0 says:
but all at once, no doubt
Mel says:
absolutely

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter