Wednesday, May 14, 2008

 
Chrysanthemums. I never used to care for chrysanthemums much; I thought they were fussy old-lady flowers. But Natalya explained to me their history as a mourning flower in Japan. In China, white chrysanthemums also apparently signify lamentation. Yet they are sold here as Mother's Day gifts!

They have a long history in Japanese art, and Natalya also showed me the various stylised ways they are drawn. I miss Natalya a lot at the moment.



I got them for cheap! The day after Mother's Day! And unlike most flowers I end up putting in my Vase Of Deathâ„¢, they have survived more than a couple of days. I just enjoy looking at them. The shapes of the flowers seem very intricate and elegant to me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter