Monday, November 03, 2008

 
NaNoNoomy-noomy-noo. Ma-mee-ma-moo. Ma-moo-ma-may. Making stoopid syllabic abbreviations is so associated with the Nazis and Soviets that George Orwell saw fit to adopt it for Nineteen Eighty-Four, but I always think of this obnoxious practice as a very American thing. Prime cases in point: the Huffington Post = HuffPo; Chinatown/Little Italy = ChiLiTa; and of course, National Novel Writing Month = NaNoWriMo.

That snarky observation aside, I'm gonna attempt to write 50,000 during the month of November. It is madness and probably an exercise in writer's guilt, and apparently the impulsive part of my brain that made this decision believes my current writing workload is but a feather upon my back. To keep myself honest, I am going to post each writing session on my deservedly neglected creative writing blog. Just don't expect me to be hitting the goal 1,667 words per day, especially as I am already three days behind.

Happily, I have already leaped the first hurdle: what the novel in question will be about. Go blogging! It provides the answers to all, which are in front of me. I thought of calling it all sorts of naff, punny things, such as Killing Him Softly, Killing In The Name and Music Makes You Death. But because you can backfill any rubbish title with meaning and because I have Arrested Development in my head now, I have decided to go with But I Am Still Thirsty.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter