Monday, February 21, 2011

 
Getting dangerously close to actual cooking skills. So on Saturdays I like to eat huevos rancheros at North and read the A2. Well, it's not the A2 any more, is it – it's the Life & Style. But since I still contribute to it, I had better not say any more on that front.

Last weekend I was away and would not be able to eat my traditional brunch, so I decided I would cook huevos rancheros for my friends. There were only five of us, so I figured it was doable. Because I am a Shit Cook™ and didn't really time my cooking well, the results were not as piping hot as I would have liked, plus I forgot to cook the chorizo, but it was still pretty delicious!

Here's how I did it.

Mel's Huevos Rancheros

tortillas
eggs
grated cheese
salsa fresca (see recipe below)
bean salsa (see recipe below)
chorizo sausages, chopped on the diagonal into rounds

Grill tortillas until they look toasted and kind of puff up. Put on plates and sprinkle generously with grated cheese. Top with a generous dollop of bean salsa. Fry two eggs per person and nestle them, sunny side up, on the bean salsa. Top with salsa fresca. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with fried chorizo pieces, hot sauce, and extra cheese and salsa.

Salsa fresca/pico de gallo
1 tomato
1 avocado
1 red capsicum
1/2 red onion
Lazy-man chilli to taste
coriander
squeeze of lemon juice

Chop all ingredients finely (except for the chilli, which has already been helpfully minced by the jar people) and combine in a bowl.

Bean salsa
1 can refried beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 brown onion
Lazy-man chilli
Lazy-man garlic
ground cumin

Fry up the onion, chilli and garlic in a saucepan. Add generous shake of cumin. Add the beans and tomatoes and mix until consistency is smooth and even, and the mixture is heated through.

Comments:
I would like to vouch for the deliciousness of this recipe, even without chorizo.
 
It doesnt count if you get to vouch for yourself.
 
LOL did you think I am the Melanie above? My name is Melissa, ya nuff-nuff.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter